SSOs occur occasionally in almost every sewer system. Causes of SSOs include, but are not limited to:
- Inappropriate materials placed into sewer, such as fats, oils and grease (FOG) and some household products such as baby and facial wipes, sanitary pads and tampons. All of these can create blockages.
- Tree roots and/or excessive stormwater or groundwater entering sewer lines through defects or cracks
- Inappropriate connections such as sump pumps, roof gutters and downspouts, foundation drains and area drains
- Power loss
- Equipment failures and breaks
- intentional acts of vandalism
- Heavy rainfall and natural disasters