Is a permit needed for a small garden shed? What about an agricultural/farm building?

All structures regardless of size require zoning approval, and also must meet setback requirements from property lines for the particular zoning district. Sheds and similar structures that are 256 sq. ft. or larger also require a building permit and potentially an environmental codes review. Applicants should contact the Permit Center for the appropriate application form(s).

Buildings such as silos and pole barns, which are used solely for agricultural/farm use, are considered “farm exempt structures.” Farm exempt structures are permitted in the A-2, A-3, R-A and Ru zoning districts. A property must be at least 2 acres if the structure is used for non-livestock-related agricultural purposes, and at least 5 acres if used for livestock-related purposes. Farm exempt structures generally shouldn’t have living space or living facilities within them. Applicants for these should complete and submit the Farm Exempt Structure Form along with the permit application. Please note that completion of the form does not guarantee approval.

Show All Answers

1. How can I find the zoning of my property?
2. Is a permit needed for a small garden shed? What about an agricultural/farm building?
3. What are the regulations for keeping chickens at my house?
4. Can I keep bee hives at my house?
5. Am I allowed to keep farm animals on my property?
6. Are there any restrictions on how tall the grass in a yard can be?
7. How many inoperable or junk vehicles are allowed on a property?
8. Are there permit, height, or location requirements for fences?
9. Where can I find a plat of my property?
10. What are the requirements for mobile food trucks?
11. Can I operate a daycare in my home?
12. What are the regulations for home-based businesses?
13. Is there a restriction on how many people can live in a house?
14. What type of approval is needed to host events?
15. Am I allowed to shoot guns on my property?
16. What are the zoning requirements for solar panel installations?
17. Where can I find commercial sign requirements?
18. How do I request a zoning confirmation letter?
19. Who do I contact for a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request?
20. How can I request a "no-wake" buoy on Lake Anna?