How do residents obtain the Residential Refuse Decal?

Residential Refuse Decals may be obtained through the Spotsylvania County Treasurer’s office by online application form, mail-in application, or in person. The Treasurer’s office will verify each request in order to issue decals to a resident or real property owner of Spotsylvania County. Decals will not be issued to commercial and business vehicles.

To submit the application online, use this online application form.

To use the mail-in application, please print, complete, and mail to:
Treasurer of Spotsylvania County
Attn: Refuse Decal Program
PO Box 100
Spotsylvania, Virginia 22553

If you submit the application by mail or online, your decals will be mailed to you after the Treasurer’s office has verified and processed the information.

To obtain decals in-person, please visit the Treasurer’s office. You will be asked to fill out the application at the counter or you can print, complete, and bring it with you to:
Spotsylvania County Treasurer’s Office
Richard E. Holbert Memorial Building
First Floor
9104 Courthouse Road
Spotsylvania, Virginia 22553
Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

For more information about obtaining a Residential Use Refuse Decal, contact the Treasurer’s office at 540-507-7058.

For information about Solid Waste Center hours and services, contact the Solid Waste Division at 540-507-7725.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Residential Refuse Decal Program?
2. Why is the Residential Refuse Decal Program being initiated?
3. How do residents obtain the Residential Refuse Decal?
4. Can I get a Refuse Decal if I do not have a personal property, real estate or water account in Spotsylvania County?
5. What if I just moved to the County and my driver's license and vehicle registration are not yet updated?
6. What if I am a renter and do not own property in Spotsylvania County?
7. What if I own a vacation rental in Spotsylvania County?
8. Where should the Refuse Decal be placed on the vehicle?
9. Do I have to obtain a refuse decal for each one of my vehicles?
10. What if I purchase a new vehicle?
11. Is the Refuse Decal transferable if I sell my car?
12. What if my vehicle is wrecked or ‘totaled’ and I need a new residential refuse decal?
13. What if I do not have the old refuse decal to return to the Treasurer’s office?
14. What if I regularly drive a vehicle with dealer tags?
15. What if I have a personal vehicle with business lettering?
16. Can I place a residential refuse decal on my business registered vehicle?
17. Can I use a rental trailer to take solid waste and recycling to the County-owned facilities?
18. What if my vehicle does not have a windshield?
19. What if I use my farm tractor or farm vehicle to haul my trash to the landfill?
20. Can I use a Refuse Decal on a Rental Box, Dump, Stake Bed, U-haul, Lowes/Home Depot, Penske, Budget, United, etc., trucks?
21. Can I get a refuse decal for my caregiver, who is not a Spotsylvania County resident, because the caregiver uses his/her vehicle to take my refuse and recycling to the solid waste facilities?
22. Why do I have to permanently display the Refuse Decal every time I use the Solid Waste Facilities? They know me.
23. Can Nonpublic Schools (private, non-state independent, or parochial) obtain Residential Refuse Decals?