What if I am moving?

Spotsylvania County Utilities does not transfer services from one location to another.  A new application is required.  Please see the Apply for Water/Sewer Service page (LINK) for more information.  

Be sure to let Spotsylvania County Utilities know that you want to stop service at your previous address after your move (or at anytime you are ready).  Please call the Customer Service department at (540) 507-7300, press Option 1.  

Show All Answers

1. How do I start water/sewer service?
2. How long will it take to process my application?
3. What is required to establish an account for water/sewer service?
4. What if I am moving?
5. How do I request a new water/sewer tap, meter, and service connection?