Governor Northam outlined guidelines for Phase 1 reopening which will begin on Friday, May 15, 2020. Phase 1 is slated to last 2-4 weeks, or longer. Some highlights for the Tourism Industry include:
• Non-essential retail may reopen, with 50% capacity.
• Restaurants and beverage services will still be limited to takeout and delivery, with outdoor seating at 50% capacity.
• Entertainment and amusement businesses remain closed.
• Fitness studios and gyms remain closed, except for outdoor fitness classes where social distancing can be practiced.
• Beaches remain closed except for fishing and exercise.
• Campgrounds may open with restrictions on distance between campsites.
• State parks remain open during the day, and will slowly open for tent camping, RVs, and then cabins. However, the Governor said that will not happen immediately. DCR has set a goal date of May 22 for that reopening but that could change.
CHANCE TO WIN A YETI COOLER
Virginia Tourism Corporation fielded a new industry survey, which you can access here. They would like to encourage you to take this survey so that VTC can have the most accurate and up-to-date picture of the impact of the coronavirus on the tourism industry in Virginia. They will be sharing the results with when the study closes, they also use this information to share with state and federal lawmakers to make sure that the tourism industry is getting the tools it needs to survive this pandemic. Your input is important! The survey should take about 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll also be entered into a drawing for a YETI cooler.