- Departments A - F
- County Administration
- ADA Grievance Procedure
ADA Grievance Procedure
The County of Spotsylvania, Virginia has adopted the following grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging that the County has violated the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA states, in part, "no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall, solely by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination" in programs or activities sponsored by a public entity.
Complaints regarding ADA issues should be addressed to:
P.O. Box 99, Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Email the County Administrator
- A complaint shall be filed in writing, or other permanent means, and shall contain the name and address of the person filing it, and a brief description of the alleged violation of the regulations.
- A complaint shall be filed within 10 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow a filing of complaint. The investigation shall be conducted by the ADA Coordinator. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the ADA Coordinator and a copy forwarded to the complainant no later than 30 days after its filing. If the Coordinator requires additional time to investigate a complaint, an additional 30 days is automatically available upon forwarding of notice of the same to the complainant.
- The ADA Coordinator shall maintain the files and records of Spotsylvania County relating to the complaints filed.
- The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made within ten days to the County Administrator, who shall render a decision within the 30 days.
- The right of a person to a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed hereunder shall not be impaired by the person's pursuit of other remedies such as the filing of an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. Use of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- These rules shall be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons to meet appropriate due process standards, and to assure that Spotsylvania County complies with the ADA and implemented regulations.
- The ADA Coordinator may conduct a hearing on a complaint. At such a hearing, the complainant and/or complainant's representative may present evidence. This hearing shall not constitute a "hearing' as defined in the Virginia Administrative Process Act. Rather, this hearing shall solely be for the purpose of seeking amicable adjudication of the issue.
Policy of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability
The County of Spotsylvania, Virginia, does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities. Deputy County Administrator Mark L. Cole has been designated to coordinate compliance with the non-discrimination requirements contained in Section 35.107 of the Department of Justice regulations.
Information concerning the provisions of the American with Disabilities Act, and the rights provided there under, are available from the:
P.O. Box 99
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Email the County Administrator