This imposing building, built by Samuel Alsop in 1838, was a popular stopping place since it was ideally situated on the well-traveled road from Fredericksburg to Richmond and Williamsburg. It was known for its hospitality and delicious meals.
At one time, there was a large stone in front of the Inn which had been used by the Indians to grind their corn. It currently is displayed at the Spotsylvania County Museum.
Other Uses for the Building
In its past, it has served as a school, post office, tavern and during the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, as headquarters for General Jubal Early. It was also an observation point for General Robert E Lee during this battle.