Household Hazardous Waste
Spotsylvania County holds Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste Collection Events two times each year. These events are available to residents only. (No Business/Commercial hazardous waste accepted.) Verification of Spotsylvania County residency is required.
When is the next event?
Saturday, October 29, 2022
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Chancellor Recycling Center
5917 Harrison Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
What is household hazardous waste?
The EPA considers any material that is toxic, corrosive, chemically active, ignitable, or explosive as a hazardous material. Many of these items are found throughout the home and garage. Proper use and disposal of these items are vital for the safety of your family and the environment. It is ILLEGAL to dump hazardous materials on the ground or down storm sewers.
Typical acceptable materials include:
- home, lawn, and garden chemicals used for pest, insect, and weed control
- automotive fuel, gas additives
- flammable cleaning solvents such as turpentine, varsol, mineral spirits, parts cleaners, floor strippers, rug cleaners, and spot removers
- lamp and heating oil
- corrosives such as muriatic acid, and oven or drain cleaners with lye
- swimming pool additives
- photo chemicals
- thermometers, thermostats, and barometers containing mercury
- oil-based paint, varnish, stains, polyurethane
You may recycle your latex paint at all of our Convenience Sites any time during the year. For more information, call 540-507-7725.
The HHW program does not accept:
- asbestos products
- ammunition or explosives
- prescription medications
- radioactive material
- medical wastes
What is “E-Waste”? A clever word used to describe any electronic/computer items ready for disposal/recycling. Electronic waste, or e-waste, is growing rapidly given the faster rate of obsolesce of electronic equipment. Spotsylvania residential households can recycle computers and other electronic items at the County’s HHW event or at any local Goodwill store. For more information regarding E-Waste and alternatives for disposal, please visit the Department of Environmental Quality website: www.deq.virginia.gov/ecycling
E-Waste items accepted include:
- old or unwanted central processing units
- hard drives
- desktop printers
- laptop computers
- computer mice
- Other peripheral computer equipment.
- TV’s, DVD’s, and other electronics.
View the HHW Flyer here: Fall 2022 HHW Event
- What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?
- How can I dispose of latex paint?
- How can I dispose of spray paint and oil-based paint?
- How can I dispose of household batteries? Is there a difference between single use and rechargeable?
- What can I dispose of year round?
- How can I reduce the amount of hazardous materials in my home?
- How can I safely manage HHW?