Military Exemption - Home of Residency not Virginia


In order to maintain a "Military Exempt" status, please submit a copy of a current Leave and Earning Statement (LES) statement each year by February 1st. The exempt status does not apply if your "Home of Residency" is Virginia.

Effective November 11, 2009, motor vehicles and other tangible personal property owned by the spouse of an active service member, whose "Home of Residency" is not Virginia, is exempt from paying personal property. This applies to property titled or leased in the name of the service member, the spouse, or both, as long as both are domiciled in another state.


Send a copy of current LES to our office via email Personal Property Division, fax it to 540-582-3630, or complete an online form.