Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Eligible families receive a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. To be eligible, a family must be financially needy and must meet certain requirements. A child may be eligible if he/she:
  • Is going to school regularly if he is between the ages of 5 and 18
  • Is living with a parent, or other relative
  • Is a U.S. citizen, or an eligible immigrant
  • Is under age 18, or if 18, will graduate from high school before age 19


You may use our screening tool to help determine whether you are eligible for benefits. Please note, however, that the final decision regarding eligibility must be made by an eligibility worker at your local department of social services. View screening tool instructions (PDF).

Application Process

You may get an Application for Benefits form at the department of social services office in your county or city. If you are a Spotsylvania resident you may fill out the form at Spotsylvania Department of Social Services and turn it in before leaving, or you may take it with you and mail or bring it back later. If you prefer, you can call our social services office and ask us to send you an application form. You must then mail or bring it back to the social services office. An interview is required to go over the information to complete the application process. 

VIEW (Virginia Initiative for Education and Work)

The Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW) offers parents receiving TANF assistance resources to find and keep a job. An important aspect of the program is the strong support participants receive from their VIEW Self-Sufficiency Worker who will focus on each family's individual situation and works with them to support their employment goals, that can lead to financial independence. VIEW focuses on participants' strengths and provides services to help them overcome job-related challenges, as well as personal, medical, and family challenges that affect employment. 

Additional Resources

If you live outside of Spotsylvania County, or need additional information, please visit the Virginia Department of Social Services website. A complete list of local social services agencies in Virginia is also available.