You may use our CommonHelp website to help determine whether you are eligible foCommonHelpr benefits. Please note, however, that the final decision regarding eligibility must be made by an eligibility worker at your local department of social services.

Ways to Apply

  1. Online
  2. Paper Application
  3. Phone

You can apply online from anywhere at any time for any of the public assistance programs by going to Virginia CommonHelp. Your application will be immediately sent to your locality based upon address included in your online application. You may set up an online account to check your benefits, renew benefits, and report changes. Applying online can save you time and may allow for faster processing of the application. In addition to access from your home computer or public library, computers for applying to public assistance programs are located and available in the lobby of the Spotsylvania Department of Social Services.

Applying for Benefits:

Citizens may apply for benefits (SNAP, TANF, Medicaid and Child Care) online at www.commonhelp.virginia.gov or by calling toll free 855-635-4370. For Medicaid only applications call 855-242-8282. 

Citizens may reach staff by contacting their caseworker via email or phone. If you do not know your caseworker, call 540-507-7898. 

EBT Cards:

For replacement EBT cards, call 866-281-2448 to have a card mailed to you. If you have an emergency and require immediate access to an EBT card, call 540-507-7898 to schedule pick-up.

Dropping of Applications/Paperwork:

Citizens may use the secure agency drop box located at the North entrance to leave paperwork and/or applications. The drop box is labeled Social Services. Please ensure that paperwork being dropped off has identifying information such as Name, DOB, and Last 4 of SSN. If you are dropping of an application, please note if there is a barrier that prevents you from having a telephone interview such as no phone or language barrier. Please list any other method of contacting you such as email or alternate phone number (neighbor, family member or friend). Applications and paperwork may also be faxed to 540-507-7806.