The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for youth and adult sports and facilities within the county. The department is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating sports programs. This includes:
- Advertisement of program offerings
- Certification of youth coaches
- Contracting and scheduling officials
- Facility scheduling
- Maintenance, requisitioning, inventory, and distribution of equipment for each sport
- Scheduling field use for private groups
- Scheduling regular season play and tournaments
- Supervision of sport activities
- Volunteer coach recruitment and background checks
Training of Employees
The department is responsible for training, directing, and supervising approximately 153 full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees and over 1,638 volunteers.
The parks maintenance staff manages and maintains parks, recreational areas, and facilities to assure safe, healthy, and attractive passive and active leisure activities. The staff also prepares school and other athletic fields for recreation and sports programs.