Concealed Handgun Permit

Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Clerk of the Circuit Court in which he or she resides, or if he or she is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county, or city in which he or she is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. §18.2-308.02,06

The application filing fee for our locality is $15. Click on titles below to expand for more information on each topic.

Ways to Apply

  1. First Time Applicant Requirements
  • The entire original completed application (all pages)
  • Copy of your certificate of competence with a handgun - See How to Provide Competency Information below.
  • One valid form of photo identification issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or by the U.S.
  • Department of Defense or U.S. State Department, i.e. passport.
  • Must be filed in person in the Records Room or submitted via the online application system
  • Filing fee of $15 payable by cash, check, money order or credit card. All credit card transactions will include a 3% surcharge. Checks can be made payable to Clerk of Court.
  1. Renewal Applicant Requirements
  1. Competence with a Handgun
  1. How to Provide Competency Information
  1. Residency
  1. Incomplete Application
  1. Criteria for Waiver of Fees
  1. Request for a Replacement Permit