FEMA Floodplain Map Update

Spotsylvania County is conducting a workshop with the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) to assist citizens that have been impacted by the FEMA floodplain map changes that went into effect on May 9, 2023.  DCR staff will provide one-on-one assistance to citizens including how to request map changes and insurance mandate requirements.  The workshop will begin with an overview presentation followed by breakout time for individuals to consult with DCR staff about their properties.

The Floodplain Maps Workshop is open to the public and will be held on Wednesday, October 11, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. in the Holbert Building Board of Supervisors Meeting Room, located at 9104 Courthouse Road, Spotsylvania, VA 22553.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) developed new Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM),effective May 9, 2023. If your insured structure(s) was mapped into a higher risk flood zone, known as the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) and you have a mortgage from a federally-regulated lender, you are required by federal law to carry flood insurance. Spotsylvania County is a participating community in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) which enables property owners to purchase flood insurance whether or not your home or business is located within a high risk flood area.

If you do not have a mortgage, FEMA still recommends purchasing flood insurance. Over the life of a 30-year loan, you are about three times more likely to have a flood in your home than a fire, and most homeowners’ insurance policies do not provide coverage for damage due to flooding.

Please note Spotsylvania County does not regulate, require, administer, or provide flood insurance.

Know Your Flood Risk General Information: https://www.fema.gov/flood-maps/know-your-risk/homeowners

 Flood Maps: https://www.fema.gov/flood-maps

 Flood Insurance: https://www.fema.gov/flood-insurance


 What if a portion of my property is within a higher risk flood zone but not my house?

The flood insurance federal mandate, known as the Mandatory Purchase Requirement, applies to structures being mapped into the high-risk flood zone with federally-backed loans and mortgages. If you have a federally-backed mortgage on your home or business, and the new maps identify your structure is within the high-risk flood zone, your lender will require you to carry flood insurance. However, other lender requirements may be more stringent and could still require flood insurance in low-risk areas if it is a part of the loan agreement. Your lender should be able to provide that information to you. If a portion of your property is within into the floodplain but your house is not, your mortgage company may still require flood insurance. Please note Spotsylvania County does not regulate, require, administer, or provide flood insurance.

FEMA recommends all homeowners carry flood insurance protection. About 25% of flood insurance claims come from areas with low-to-moderate flood risk. Homeowners and renter’s insurance do not typically cover flood damage. Flood insurance will pay claims regardless of whether or not there is a Presidential Disaster Declaration.

 How do I purchase flood insurance?

Homeowners and business owners can buy flood insurance by calling your insurance company or calling your local independent agent, who can write flood insurance directly with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP partners with more than 50 private insurance companies and the NFIP Direct to sell and service flood insurance policies: https://www.floodsmart.gov/flood-insurance-provider

 What is Spotsylvania County’s Community Number?


How do I obtain a copy of my Flood Insurance Risk Map (FIRM) panel?

If a property owner needs a copy of their FIRM panel, the property owner can access the FEMA website and download and print the official copy.  Any citizen who needs assistance may contact the Planning and Zoning Department.   FEMA website: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home 

How do I obtain a confirmation letter from the Floodplain Administrator confirming my structure is not mapped within the flood risk areas for insurance purposes?

The property owner may submit the floodplain confirmation letter request via email to [email protected] for a fee of $30.

 What can I do if I think my property has been incorrectly mapped?

  • Another option is for the property owner to request a Letter of Map Change, specifically a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA).  If the flood zone is only on a portion of the property and does not include the house, the LOMA request does not require an elevation certificate to be provided.  The LOMA may be submitted online on FEMA’s website: https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/onlinelomc/signin

Specialists at the FEMA Mapping and Insurance eXchange (FMIX) Customer Care Center can help our citizens with any questions about flood mapping and insurance. The FMIX provides the full range of information needed to make informed decisions about both insurance and any map change process. The FMIX also connects customers with technical experts specializing in subjects like modeling, GIS mapping, insurance underwriting and claims.

 Contact Info: FEMA Mapping and Insurance eXchange (FMIX) Customer Care Center


Email: [email protected]