Office of Elections
ALL POLLING LOCATIONS ARE OPEN ON ELECTION DAY(S) - 6AM TO 7PM. Bring your valid ID.
SAMPLE BALLOTS are at the bottom of this page.
The Director of Elections / General Registrar provides all eligible citizens convenient access for voter registration, maintains 100,500 voter records and other election-related data accurately, organizes and oversees voter registration opportunities, recruits and trains Election Officials, conducts locality absentee/early voting, manages new candidate qualifications with campaign finance and supervises primary, special and general election polling precincts for local, state and federal elections.
The Director and staff are committed to providing each citizen of our County the opportunity to exercise his or her right to vote in an efficient and equitable manner in accordance with the Constitutions of the United States and Commonwealth of Virginia and the Code of Virginia. Staff strive to manage effective elections while protecting the integrity of the democratic process.
A person may register to vote online through the Department of Elections website or the DMV website. Applications submitted online to the Department of Elections can be accepted through 11:59 p.m. on the final day of registration preceding an election. To complete the application process and sign the application electronically, the applicant must have a driver’s license or identification issued by the DMV.
- If you would like to register to vote by downloading the form, please click here for an Application to Register.
- To verify your registration status or look up your district information: https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation or call 540-507-7380.
- Feel free to call our office at 540-507-7380, or email at: [email protected].
- If you or your group would like to train (per the State) to hold a voter registration drive, here is the link: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/registration-drives/
Redistricting Information - from 2022
- For all 2023 Elections - updated redistricting voting precincts will be utilized as for the 11/2022 Election. Click HERE to check your registration and where you vote.
Resources for Voters
- Stay tuned to this website, The Free Lance Star and our Facebook page, Spotsylvania Votes for election deadlines and information.
- Keep scrolling for more election news, early voting and meeting information and upcoming deadlines.
- NEW VOTING MACHINES FOR NOVEMBER 2023 ELECTION! https://www.essvote.com/
- Our County will now use the ES&S brand voting machines and scanners beginning the 11/2023 election. Find more information/facts here: https://www.essvote.com/faqs//DocumentCenter/View/25970
- We will have an Open House soon at our office location (4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407) to introduce the machines to voters, offer registration and record change services, Q&A, maps, etc - - - to be announced soon!
Election News & Resources
For the November 7, 2023 Election - we will vote for:
Senate of Virginia Commissioner of the Revenue
House of Delegates Treasurer
Soil & Water Directors Sheriff
Clerk of Court School Board Members and Board of Supervisors for Chancellor, Courtland, Salem and Livingston Districts. See candidate listing below.
We do not have information on candidates or their political standpoints.
Sample Ballots - scroll down to the bottom of the page.
*** Click HERE for the Candidate listing with contact information should you need it.***
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES FOR THE NOVEMBER 7, 2023 GENERAL ELECTION
|School Board, Chancellor||Belen Katherine Rodas, Jordan J. Lynch|
|School Board, Courtland||Carol Huebner Medawar, David Ross|
|School Board, Livingston||Kirk Twigg, Megan K. Jackson, Alexander Anthony Zuponeck-Carlson|
|School Board, Salem||Chris M. Harris, Lorita "Rita" C. Daniels|
|Board of Supervisors, Chancellor||Gerald W. Childress, Michael Martin|
|Board of Supervisors, Courtland||Andrew J. "Drew" Mullins, Michael Bush|
|Board of Supervisors, Livingston||Jacob A. "Jake" Lane|
|Board of Supervisors, Salem||Deborah Frazier, Roy A. Searles, Jr.|
|Clerk of Court||Nick G. Ignacio, Christalyn Mitchell Jett|
|Commonwealth's Attorney||G. Ryan Mehaffey|
|Commissioner of the Revenue||Deborah F. Williams|
|Sheriff||Steve D. Maxwell, Roger Lee Harris|
|Soil & Water Conservation Dir.||Jan Massey, Wayne W. Miller|
June 20, 2023 / 7pm was the deadline. This is the final listing of our local candidates.
Early Voting & Voting Information (Sample Ballots-bottom of page)
- Click HERE for more information on Absentee/Early Voting in Virginia.
- You have two options - request to have a ballot mailed to you OR vote in person at our early voting location: 10699 Courthouse Road/Breezewood Shopping Center, Fredericksburg, 22407.
- Request a mailed ballot HERE.
- In-person Early Voting location for the November General Election will be in the Breezewood Shopping Center, left end: 10699 Courthouse Rd / Breezewood Shopping Center, 22407.
(Access your Virginia voter record to update your registration, apply to vote absentee, and view your polling place, election district and absentee ballot status.)
- Register Online - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/
- Vote Early In-person - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/in-person-voting/
- Vote By-Mail, request a vote by mail ballot - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/
- IMPORTANT ELECTION DATES AND DEADLINES:
Voting Deadlines November 7th General Early Voting Begins September 22 Deadline to register or make changes October 16 Deadline to request a ballot mailed October 27 Two Saturdays open for Early Voting October 28 / November 4
Voter and Citizen Information (Board Meetings, FYI's)
- The next Electoral Board meeting will be Tuesday, September 5th at 8:45am (UPDATED 9/1/2023). They are held at the Office of Elections - 4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407.
- Covid-19 Safety Measures continue to be practiced during our 2023 elections to protect our citizens and election officials.
- If you receive a registration or absentee application in the mail from the Voter Participation Center (VPC) -OR - The Center for Voter Information (CVI) indicating you are not registered to vote, you may confirm your registration information through the Virginia Department of Elections HERE.
- Complaints for the Voter Participation Center can be directed to: 877-255-6750
- Complaints for The Center for Voter Information can be directed to: 202-766-6575.
- State Party Information:
Deputy Director of Elections / Absentee Coordinator
Christina Johnson is accountable for all aspects of absentee - Vote by Mail operations: applications, processing, auditing, etc. She also supervises Campaign Finance reporting and directly supports the Director of Elections. Contact Christina Johnson.
Election Operations Manager
Valerie Sorensen is responsible for handling Oaths and paperwork for all election officials, scheduling workers at precincts, voter eligibility, etc. Contact Valerie Sorensen.
Election Operations Administrator
Chelsea LeViner programs and maintains our voting machines, laptops and e-poll pads used as pollbooks for our elections and administers operations management of early voting . Contact Chelsea LeViner.
Election Services Specialist
Regan Halkyard plans and coordinates elections with contacts from schools, private entities and County buildings used as precincts on all Election Days. She also supports the Deputy Director with Vote by Mail administration. Contact Regan Halkyard.
Sample ballots are listed by voting precinct, with state districts if applicable.
Please call our office to confirm your correct sample ballot if you are unsure (540-507-7380).
- 101-Partlow Sample
- 102-Berkeley Sample
- 103-John J Wright, 25th Sample
- 103-John J Wright, 28th Sample
- 104-Massaponax Sample
- 201-Wilderness Elem. Sample
- 202-Fire Rescue 7, 27th, Sample
- 202-Fire Rescue 7, 28th, Sample
- 203-Ni River Middle Sample
- 204-Chancellor Elem. sample
- 301-Salem Elem. Sample
- 302-Salem Library, 25th-66th, Sample
- 302-Salem Library, 27th-65th, Sample
- 303-Riverbend High Sample
- 304-Knights of Pythias Sample
- 401-Cosner Park sample
- 402-Germanna Campus Sample
- 403-Lee Hill Elem. Sample
- 404-Fire Rescue 11 Sample
- 501-Belmont Ruitan sample
- 502-Fire Rescue 2 Sample
- 503-Spotsylvania High Sample
- 504-Public Safety Sample
- 505-Brock Road Elem. sample
- 601-Battlefield Elem. sample
- 602-Smith Station Elem. Sample
- 603-Chancellor High Sample
- 604-Courthouse Rd Elem., 25th Sample
- 604-Courthouse Rd. Elem., 27th, Sample
- 701-Spotswood Elem. Sample
- 702-Eastwood Church Sample
- 703-Lee's Parke Sample
- 704-Courtland Elem. Sample