Office of Elections
THE OFFICE OF ELECTIONS WILL BE CLOSED MONDAY, JAN. 30TH FOR STAFF DEVELOPMENT AND OFFICE MAINTENANCE. (Per Code §24.2-411)
ALL POLLING LOCATIONS ARE OPEN ON ELECTION DAY(S) - 6AM TO 7PM. Bring your valid ID.
Masks are preferred and appreciated.
The Director of Elections / General Registrar provides all eligible citizens convenient access for voter registration, maintains 103,500 voter records and other election-related data accurately, organizes and oversees voter registration opportunities, recruits and trains Election Officials, conducts locality absentee/early voting, manages new candidate qualifications with campaign finance and supervises primary, special and general election polling precincts for local, state and federal elections.
The Director and staff are committed to providing each citizen of our County the opportunity to exercise his or her right to vote in an efficient and equitable manner in accordance with the Constitutions of the United States and Commonwealth of Virginia and the Code of Virginia. Staff strive to manage effective elections while protecting the integrity of the democratic process.
A person may register to vote online through the Department of Elections website or the DMV website. Applications submitted online to the Department of Elections can be accepted through 11:59 p.m. on the final day of registration preceding an election. To complete the application process and sign the application electronically, the applicant must have a driver’s license or identification issued by the DMV.
- If you would like to register to vote by downloading the form, please click here for an Application to Register.
- Feel free to call our office at 540-507-7380, or email at: [email protected].
- If you or your group would like to train (per the State) to hold a voter registration drive, here is the link: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/registration-drives/
- For all 2023 Elections - updated redistricting voting precincts will be utilized as for the 11/2022 Election. Click HERE to check your registration and where you vote.
Resources for Voters
- Stay tuned to this website, The Free Lance Star and our Facebook page, Spotsylvania Votes for election deadlines and information.
- Keep scrolling for more election news and upcoming deadlines.
Resources for Candidates
If you are interested in running for an office in the 2023 election cycle, please remember candidates for office must meet certain qualifications and are required to file specific documents in order to qualify to appear on the ballot.
For November 7, 2023 Election - we will vote for:
Senate of Virginia, House of Delegates, Soil & Water Directors, Clerk of Court, Commonwealth Attorney, Sheriff, Commissioner of Revenue, Treasurer and School Board/Board of Supervisors for: Chancellor, Courtland, Salem and Livingston.
- All the information you require, information on submitting paperwork and reports and the links you'll need, are on the Department of Elections website - found HERE. Please read this information carefully and thoroughly.
- You will also want to download and read the Candidate Bulletin that applies to the office you are interested in - start HERE (go down to the November 7, 2023 General and Special Elections section.
- Our office does not have this paperwork since it is available online and the State requirement is to file online for State offices (local candidates file forms in our office and campaign finance online). We can email a "packet" of forms to you if needed. For any questions - feel free to call Christina at 507-7381 - or the main office at 507-7380.
A June Primary - if held, will be June 20, 2023 and that would be for party nominations for Senate or Delegate seats. When we have more information, we will share here.
CANDIDATES THAT ARE QUALIFIED FOR THE NOV. 7TH GENERAL ELECTION:
|School Board, Chancellor||Belen Katherine Rodas|
|School Board, Courtland||Carol Huebner Medawar|
|School Board, Livingston||Kirk Twigg, Megan K. Jackson|
|School Board, Salem||Chris M. Harris|
|Clerk of Court||Nick G. Ignacio|
|Sheriff||Steve D. Maxwell|
This will be updated as we "qualify" candidates through June 20, 2023 (deadline). Their names will appear on the November General Election Ballot.
Early Voting & Voting Information
- Click HERE for more information on Absentee/Early Voting in Virginia.
- You have two options - request to have a ballot mailed to you OR vote in person at our early voting location (4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407 - our main office).
- Request a mailed ballot HERE.
- In-person Early Voting for the June Primary Election will be held at the main Office of Elections - 4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407.
The Sample Ballot for the next election will be posted before Early voting begins - about 50 days before the election or as soon as we receive confirmation from the State.
(Access your Virginia voter record to update your registration, apply to vote absentee, and view your polling place, election district and absentee ballot status.)
- Register Online - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/
- Vote Early In-person - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/in-person-voting/
- Vote By-Mail, request a vote by mail ballot - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/
- IMPORTANT ELECTION DATES AND DEADLINES:
Voting Deadlines June 20th Primary November 7th General Early Voting Begins May 5 September 22 Deadline to register or make changes May 30 October 17 Deadline to request a ballot mailed June 9 October 27 Two Saturdays open for Early Voting June 10 / 17 October 28 / November 4
Voter and Citizen Information
- The next Electoral Board meeting will be held in April, date to be determined - and held at the Office of Elections (4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407).
- Covid-19 Safety Measures continue to be practiced during our 2023 elections to protect our citizens and election officials.
- If you receive a registration or absentee application in the mail from the Voter Participation Center (VPC) -OR - The Center for Voter Information (CVI) indicating you are not registered to vote, you may confirm your registration information through the Virginia Department of Elections HERE.
- Complaints for the Voter Participation Center can be directed to: 877-255-6750
- Complaints for The Center for Voter Information can be directed to: 202-766-6575.
- State Party Information:
Deputy Director of Elections / Absentee Coordinator
Christina Johnson is accountable for all aspects of absentee - Vote by Mail operations: applications, processing, auditing, etc. She also supervises Campaign Finance reporting and directly supports the Director of Elections. Contact Christina Johnson.
Election Operations Manager
Valerie Sorensen is responsible for handling Oaths and paperwork for all election officials, scheduling workers at precincts, voter eligibility, etc. Contact Valerie Sorensen.
Election Operations Administrator
Chelsea LeViner programs and maintains our voting machines, laptops and e-poll pads used as pollbooks for our elections and administers operations management of early voting . Contact Chelsea LeViner.
Election Services Specialist
Regan Halkyard plans and coordinates elections with contacts from schools, private entities and County buildings used as precincts on all Election Days. She also supports the Deputy Director with Vote by Mail administration. Contact Regan Halkyard.