Office of Elections
ELECTION DAY - NOVEMBER 8, 2022
ALL POLLING LOCATIONS ARE OPEN ON ELECTION DAY(S) - 6AM TO 7PM. Bring your valid ID.
Masks are preferred and appreciated.
The Director of Elections / General Registrar provides all eligible citizens convenient access for voter registration, maintains 103,500 voter records and other election-related data accurately, organizes and oversees voter registration opportunities, recruits and trains Election Officials, conducts locality absentee/early voting, manages new candidate qualifications with campaign finance and supervises primary, special and general election polling precincts for local, state and federal elections.
The Director and staff are committed to providing each citizen of our County the opportunity to exercise his or her right to vote in an efficient and equitable manner in accordance with the Constitutions of the United States and Commonwealth of Virginia and the Code of Virginia. Staff strive to manage effective elections while protecting the integrity of the democratic process.
A person may register to vote online through the Department of Elections website or the DMV website. Applications submitted online to the Department of Elections can be accepted through 11:59 p.m. on the final day of registration preceding an election. To complete the application process and sign the application electronically, the applicant must have a driver’s license or identification issued by the DMV.
- If you would like to register to vote by downloading the form, please click here for an Application to Register.
- Feel free to call our office at 540-507-7380, or email at: [email protected].
- If you or your group would like to train (per the State) to hold a voter registration drive, here is the link: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/registration-drives/
Resources for Voters
- Stay tuned to this website, The Free Lance Star and our Facebook page, Spotsylvania Votes for election deadlines and information.
- For the November 8, 2022 General Election - updated redistricting voting precincts will be open. Click HERE to check your registration and where you vote.
- New Voter ID cards will be mailed out within a few weeks with updated district information.
- Click HERE for more information on Absentee/Early Voting in Virginia.
- You have two options - request to have a ballot mailed to you OR vote in person at our early voting location (4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407 - our main office).
- Request a mailed ballot HERE.
- In-person Early Voting for the November General Election will be held at the main Office of Elections - 4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407.
Sample Ballot Information
Here is the Sample ballot for the upcoming November General - U.S. House of Representatives seat.
(Access your Virginia voter record to update your registration, apply to vote absentee, and view your polling place, election district and absentee ballot status.)
- Register Online - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/
- Vote Early In-person - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/in-person-voting/
- Vote By-Mail, request a vote by mail ballot - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/
IMPORTANT ELECTION DATES AND DEADLINES:
- Early voting (45 days) begins - Sept. 23
- Deadline to register or make changes - Oct. 17
- Deadline to request a mailed ballot - Oct. 28
- Two Saturdays open for early voting - Oct. 29 and Nov. 5, 9am to 5pm
- One Sunday - Oct. 2, noon to 4:30pm
- Last day for in-person early voting - Nov. 5
Voter and Citizen Information
- Election Day - Tuesday, November 8, 2022. Polls open 6am to 7pm
- Canvass of votes is Wednesday, November 9, beginning at 9am. Provisional Meeting will follow the canvass of precincts.
- The next Electoral Board meeting will be the canvass of election day- and held at the Office of Elections (4708 Southpoint Parkway, 22407).
- Covid-19 Safety Measures continue to be practiced during our 2022 elections to protect our citizens and election officials.
- If you receive a registration or absentee application in the mail from the Voter Participation Center (VPC) -OR - The Center for Voter Information (CVI) indicating you are not registered to vote, you may confirm your registration information through the Virginia Department of Elections HERE.
- Complaints for the Voter Participation Center can be directed to: 877-255-6750
- Complaints for The Center for Voter Information can be directed to: 202-766-6575.
- State Party Information:
Deputy Director of Elections / Absentee Coordinator
Christina Johnson is accountable for all aspects of absentee - Vote by Mail operations: applications, processing, auditing, etc. She also supervises Campaign Finance reporting and directly supports the Director of Elections. Contact Christina Johnson.
Election Operations Manager
Valerie Sorensen is responsible for handling Oaths and paperwork for all election officials, scheduling workers at precincts, voter eligibility, etc. Contact Valerie Sorensen.
Election Operations Administrator
Chelsea LeViner programs and maintains our voting machines, laptops and e-poll pads used as pollbooks for our elections and administers operations management of early voting . Contact Chelsea LeViner.
Election Services Specialist
Regan Halkyard plans and coordinates elections with contacts from schools, private entities and County buildings used as precincts on all Election Days. She also supports the Deputy Director with Vote by Mail administration. Contact Regan Halkyard.