Office of Elections
ALL POLLING LOCATIONS ARE OPEN ON ELECTION DAY - 6AM TO 7PM. Bring your valid ID. Masks are preferred and appreciated.
The Director of Elections / General Registrar provides all eligible citizens convenient access for voter registration, maintains 99,200 voter records and other election-related data accurately, organizes and oversees voter registration opportunities, recruits and trains Election Officials, conducts locality absentee/early voting, manages new candidate qualifications with campaign finance and supervises primary, special and general election polling precincts for local, state and federal elections.
The Director and staff are committed to providing each citizen of our County the opportunity to exercise his or her right to vote in an efficient and equitable manner in accordance with the Constitutions of the United States and Commonwealth of Virginia and the Code of Virginia. Staff strive to manage effective elections while protecting the integrity of the democratic process.
- If you would like to register to vote: You may register online...visit the Department of Elections eligibility page to complete, check or update your registration. (A DMV issued ID is necessary to complete a registration or a Vote By Mail application through this site.) Or, click here for an Application to Register.
- feel free to call our office at 540-507-7380, or email at: email@example.com.
Resources for Voters
To all Virginians voting by mail/absentee ballots for the November 3, 2020 elections: If you believe you may not safely have a witness present while completing the absentee ballot for the November 3, 2020 Election, you are not required to have a witness present or have a witness sign your ballot envelope. Your ballot will not be rejected due to a missing witness signature. These instructions override any instructions on your ballot envelopes regarding witness signatures.
- Stay tuned to this website, The Free Lance Star and our Facebook page, Spotsylvania Votesfor additional information. If you wish to vote early, please consider wearing a mask and listen to instructions from our election officials.
- IMPORTANT DATES - Voter Registration:
- Online - Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 11:59pm at www.vote.virginia.gov
- In-person - Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 5pm
- By-Mail - Postmarked no later than October 13, 2020 at 5pm
- IMPORTANT DATES - Absentee/Early Voting:
- In-person absentee/early voting opens Friday, September 18, 2020
- Last day to request a Vote by Mail ballot - Friday, October 23, 2020 at 5pm
- Last day to vote absentee/early in-person - Saturday, October 31, 2020
- Once you have mailed back your Vote by Mail application, you may begin tracking your ballot! From the time it leaves our office (September 18 and on) until you vote it, mail it back and it's checked in at our office: www.tinyurl.com/spotsyvotes
- IMPORTANT DATES - Voter Registration:
- Sample Ballot - Click here for a County-wide sample ballot. This includes both 1st and 7th congressional races; (depends on where you live) you will have one option for House of Representatives when you vote. As a reminder - ballot order is determined/randomly drawn by the State Board of Elections - §24.2-613.
- The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government. They have shared an informative online elections tool - Facts for Voters 2020: https://my.lwv.org/sites/default/files/lwv_2020_updated.pdf
- Covid-19 Safety Measures praticed during our June Primary elections will be continued for the Presidential election to protect our citizens and election officials. Please see precinct information below:
The next Electoral Board Meeting - will be to complete the 11/3/20 canvass from the General Election: 12:00pm on Monday, Nov. 9th. Meetings are held at the Office of Elections (4708 Southpoint Parkway, Fredericksburg 22407).
We want you....to serve as a County Election Official! (Click here)
Christina Johnson is accountable for all aspects of absentee voting, applications, processing, in-person and by mail, etc. She also supervises Campaign Finance reporting. Contact Christina Johnson.
Election Official Coordinator
Valerie Sorensen is responsible for mailing/handling paperwork for all election officials, scheduling workers at precincts, etc. Contact Valerie Sorensen.
Voting Machine Technician
Chelsea LeViner programs and maintains our voting machines and laptops used as pollbooks for our elections. Contact Chelsea LeViner.
Election Day Coordinator
Regan Halkyard plans and coordinates elections with contacts from schools and County buildings used as precincts on all Election Days. Contact Regan Halkyard.