- How Do I...
- Route 1 Name Change Info
Jefferson Davis Highway Name Change
Effective January 1, 2022, Jefferson Davis Highway's name changes at the direction of the Virginia General Assembly. Businesses and residents living along Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. Route 1) will receive a new street name and possibly a new numbered address. The Board of Supervisors passed a resolution on 8/24/21 to change the name to Patriot Highway within Spotsylvania County. The Commonwealth Transportation Board voted in mid-October to make the new name official.
The following information is provided to assist residents, businesses, and property owners who currently have a Jefferson Davis Highway address so that they understand what will occur over the next few months and the actions they should take as a result of the name change.
Spotsylvania County will send letters to all affected property owners and tenants (as publicly known) informing them of the change and their new address that will be effective January 1, 2022. For some, this will include a new building address number. We ask that property owners with tenants communicate these changes to them.
You may also review this searchable database of current and future addresses.
The County will update the following records:
- Water and sewer bill accounts
- Personal Property tax accounts
- Meals Tax, Lodging, and Short Term Rental accounts
- Real Estate tax accounts
- Business License accounts
- Animal License accounts
VDOT and the County will be installing new street signs in 2022.
These are some of the recommended actions for you to take:
- Post Office – Update your address with USPS. While mail can be forwarded for up to 18 months, mail marked “service address requested” will be returned to sender.
- Voter Registration - Update your address with the Office of Elections.
- Department of Motor Vehicles - Update your address with the Department of Motor
Vehicles. This can be performed online, without an appointment.
- Social Security - Update your address with the Social Security Administration.
- Business - Update your address on all business documents, websites, social media, etc.
- Other - Update your address with financial institutions, utility companies, and
subscriptions. The Post Office will not forward mail containing financial documents so it is important that you contact your financial institutions with your new address information.
- Ensure that your building address number is posted as required by County Code, Sec. 19B.
This page will be updated as new information is available. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.