Tuesday through Saturday (Closed Sunday and Monday)
Noon to 4 p.m.
The following requirements are put in place to protect animals and residents:
- Must be 18 years old
- If animal is under 16 weeks of age, you must live in Spotsylvania County to adopt
- All animals must be Spayed/Neutered if older than 16 weeks within 30 days from the date of adoption
- In households where there are small children under six years of age, applications for adoption of puppies and kittens less than five months of age shall be judged by the following guidelines:
- Age of Child
- Compatibility between child and the animal, which will be evaluated by the Animal Shelter Assistants prior to adoption.
- The child's previous experience with other animals.
- If you rent your home or land, you must have written permission with a telephone number to contact your landlord before the adoption takes place
- Adopters must agree to comply with all state and local ordinances/laws governing animals
- Animals are placed as household pets, not as guard dogs and mousers
- No animals will be adopted to persons having a history of losing, giving away, selling, turning in animals to shelters, or having animals injured or killed by moving vehicles/accidents
- If the adopter cannot keep the adopted animal, the animal must be returned to the Spotsylvania Animal Shelter
Spay & Neuter
Virginia law requires that all dogs and cats adopted from the shelter must be spayed or neutered.
The Spotsylvania Animal Shelter houses strays and unwanted animals of unknown origin. The Animal Shelter does not have a veterinarian in-house. It is very important that, after the adoption, the pet is taken to the veterinarian within 10 days. The veterinary care will be the full responsibility of the adopter.
|Small Animal (rabbit, gerbil, hamster etc.)||$20|