- Departments S - Z
- Water Conservation
- Water Conservation Programs
- Hotel & Hospitality Certification Program
Hotel & Hospitality Certification Program
For complete information about Spotsylvania County’s Water Conservation Policy, please view: Water Conservation Initiative.
Voluntary Hotel & Hospitality Certification Program
The Voluntary Hotel and Hospitality Conservation Certification Program (HHCCP) is adopted as a part of the Green Initiative and Water Conservation Program for Hotels and hospitality service providers located in Spotsylvania County. The intent of the program is to establish general operating standards for the various kinds of hotels and hospitality centers; which will encourage water conservation and the responsible use of water.
Hotels, motels and other hospitality centers in Spotsylvania County may apply to participate in the certification program. The HHCCP shall be administered by the Spotsylvania County Department of Utilities/Public Works. The Application Form shall be completed and submitted to the Spotsylvania County Department of Utilities/Public Works. The make and model of the following equipment must be included in the application: Toilets, ice machines, showerheads and faucets. In addition, a verification letter stating that the hotel participated in a linen re-use program is required.
An applicant applying to participate in the HHCCP is subject to inspection by the department, or its representative, to determine that the facility meets all appropriate criteria. Inspections shall be conducted at reasonable times, and may be conducted without notice. Inspections shall be conducted annually at minimum. If during an inspection, it is discovered that the participating Hotel is not in compliance with the applicable criteria, the department shall:
- Issue a notice to the owner of the facility specifying the criteria not in compliance and providing 14 days for the facility to repair the deficiencies or additional time that may be appropriate under the circumstances.
- If the reported deficiencies are not repaired in the appropriate time period, the department shall revoke the certificate of participation.
Fees and Charges:
An applicant to the Certification Program shall pay to the department:
- An application fee of $100; and;
- An annual renewal fee of $100.
Monthly Water User Rate Reduction Charges for Conservation:
Establishments in good standing that meet the criteria of the HHCCP will be entitled to exemption from tier 4 level water rates as currently stated in chapter 22 section 22-128 of the Spotsylvania County Code provided that the monthly use does not exceed the established monthly baseline winter quarter use by more than 10% as defined in the Conservation Program and Policy.
- Participating establishments must utilize the following equipment:
- Low-volume toilets use 1.6 gallons per flush (gpf) or less;
- Dual flush toilets 1.0 gpf or less;
- Low-volume showerheads (maximum of 2.5 gallons per minute (gpm) (@80 psi);
- Low-volume bath faucets (maximum of 2.5 gpm (@80 psi).
- All ice machines must be air-cooled.
- The establishment must offer linen reuse to all customers. Re-use cards must be posted in all rooms to participate in the HHCCP.
- Establishments with lawn irrigation systems must participate in the irrigation system certification program and the irrigation system must be in good standing under the irrigation program.
Signage and Advertising:
- A certified Hotel may display signage, approved by the Department, advertising that the Hotel is certified as participating in the Certification Program.
- A certified Hotel may be identified on a list published by the Department advertising that the Hotel is certified.
- A certified Hotel may use a logo or phrase, approved by the Department, in advertising, mailings, and other promotional material indicating that the Hotel is participating in the Certification Program.