Welcome to the RAFFT home page! RAFFT- Resource*Adoptive*Foster Families Team, is a program with the Spotsylvania Department of Social Services with a mission to recruit, train, approve, and support foster/adoptive/resource parents who can provide loving homes to our area foster children. If you are considering becoming a foster parent, please call or email us and we can tell you about our program and answer any questions that you may have. We also have a packet of information about RAFFT that we can send to you as well.
The first step in becoming an approved foster/adoptive/resource parent is to take a 27 hour training that consists of five in-class sessions and four online at-home sessions. We offer our classes several times per year to prepare new foster/adoptive/resource parents for the foster care experience. Both evening and daytime options are available and you can select the one that best fits your schedule. The classes cover a variety of topics including first-hand advice from experienced RAFFT foster parents. Additionally, we provide ongoing help, support and additional training classes throughout the year.
RAFFT and Social Services Location - We are located in the Spotsylvania Courthouse Village near Robert E. Lee Elementary School. You can access the area from Brock Road or the Spotsylvania Courthouse Bypass. You will see a building in the village called the Market Square Building which is across from the pavilion. The physical address is 9019 Old Battlefield Blvd, Spotsylvania, VA 22553. Social Services is located on the second floor and has it's own entrance, the North Entrance, located across from the gravel parking lot.
Classes are generally offered three times each year. Our classes meet at the Spotsylvania Department of Social Services. There is no charge to attend our classes but pre-registration is required due to limited space. Please call or email to register. See contact information below.
- Summer classes ended on July 30, 2018.
- Fall classes began on September 10, 2018.
- Winter/Spring classes are scheduled to begin on January 28, 2019 with the following evening schedule.
Monday, 01/28/2019 Classroom Session 1 6-9 pm
Cluster 1 – online requirement prior to session 2
Monday, 02/11/2019 Classroom Session 2 6-9 pm
Cluster 2 – online requirement prior to session 3
Monday, 02/25/2019 Classroom Session 3 6-9 pm
Cluster 3 – online requirement prior to session 4
Monday, 03/11/2019 Classroom Session 4 6-9 pm
Cluster 4 – online requirement prior to session 5
Monday, 03/25/2019 Classroom Session 5 6-9 pm
- Orientation - If you aren't sure if fostering is for you, please call us anytime to hear about our program. You can also join us for one of our orientation sessions which are held three times per year. Our next one is scheduled for Monday, December 3, 2018 from 6:30-8:30pm. Plan to join us to hear more about fostering and the focus of our program. Pre-registration is requested but not required.
- In-Service Training for Approved Families - State policy requires that all approved foster parents receive on-going training annually. There are many ways to acquire training hours. These include attending RAFFT quarterly in-service trainings, taking on-line courses, attending classes through other agencies/schools, and reading related books/articles/etc. and writing a short summary about what you learned.
Please Contact Us- We will be glad to tell you more about foster parenting/adoption, and about the RAFFT program. Being a foster parent is sometimes hard work, but the rewards are enormous and you have the chance to significantly change the life of an abused or neglected child.
"Every kid is one caring adult away from being a success story."
The RAFFT office is physically located within the Spotsylvania Department of Social Services at 9019 Old Battlefield Boulevard, 2nd Floor, Spotsylvania, VA 22553.
Our mailing address is P.O. Box 249, Spotsylvania, VA 22553.
Our email addresses and phone numbers are listed to the right.
RAFFT Case Aide
PO Box 249
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Physical Address: Directions
9019 Old Battlefield Blvd; 2nd Floor
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Department Director: Gail Crooks
Web site feedback