Pursuant to Chapter 11.1A - Massage Parlors, of the Spotsylvania County Code, you are required to have a permit if you own a massage establishment and/or if you are a licensed massage therapist conducting business in Spotsylvania County.
Process Of Applying For A Massage Permit:
1) If you are applying for a massage establishment permit for the first time, please contact the Zoning Department prior to applying to see if a zoning permit is required.
2) Complete an application for a massage establishment and/or a massage therapist permit. Do not sign the application until you are in the presence of a notary (one will be available to you in the County Administrator's Office).
3) Fill out the form authorizing the Sheriff's Office to complete a background check.
4) Get your fingerprints taken. You will first need to go to the Sheriff's Office to pay a $15.00 fee. Once paid, you will need to take your receipt to the General District Court and they will take your fingerprints. Fingerprinting is done on Wednesdays and Fridays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
5) Bring your application(s), background authorization form, fingerprints and a valid drivers license or other government-issued photo id to the County Administrator's Office.
If you are applying for a massage therapist permit, you will also need to bring your certification from the Board of Nursing of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
There is a $50.00 application fee for a massage therapist permit and a $75.00 application fee for a massage establishment. Payment shall be made in the form of cash, check or money order. Credit cards are not accepted. Checks and money orders shall be made payable to the Treasurer of Spotsylvania County.
The County Administrator's Office will process your application and you will receive your permit by mail in approximately 2-3 weeks.
NOTE: Permits are valid one (1) year from the date of issuance unless sooner suspended or revoked. Within sixty (60) days of the expiration date, you may complete and submit a new application for renewal of the permit. The renewal process is the same each year, with the exception of the fingerprints, which is only required for the initial application.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
Main: (540) 507-7010
Fax: (540) 507-7019
County Admin Email
PO Box 99
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Physical Address: Directions
9104 Courthouse Road
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Interim County Administrator:
Deputy County Administrator:
Mark L. Cole